Saturday 29 September 2012

George Formby Portrait


This is my first portrait of George Formby with his 'banjolele'. It's an A3-sized portrait using graphite and charcoal sketch art pencils on  Daler Rowney 220g/m2 (135lbs) art paper.

I feel I've captured the image, and the performance character, of George very well. It's a difficult face to capture really, as his appearance when performing, with his smiles and other facial affectations, is often different to his 'normal' off-stage appearance.

The picture has recently sold, which I was delighted about. It shows other people appreciate my work. I hope the buyer gets a lot of enjoyment from the picture. I feel artwork has an enduring element, in that you can hang a picture and view it over time - months and years - and continue to get new insights into it and new enjoyment from it. I still enjoy looking at artwork on my wall that's been there for years.



No comments:

Post a Comment