Sunday 16 December 2012

Portrait


Another thing that's been taking up my time recently is experimenting with portraiture. Traditionally I'm a landscape painter but I'm keen to develop my portrait work and also have a desire to do some caricatures. It's a different skill, capturing a person in paint. One person I admire is Rolf Harris who has painted some wonderful portraits in his time, all in his own style yet all capturing the essence of the sitter.

Here's a portrait of a young child that I've just completed - some people from the ukulele club may know him! It's acrylic paint on art card, A3 size. I'm pleased with it. There's some things I'd change were I to do it again, but that's the joy (and pain!) of paintings I feel - no work is ever really 'finished' or 'perfect' but the artist must have the discipline to say, 'Stop, that's enough!'


No comments:

Post a Comment