Wednesday 10 October 2012

Autumn


This is a painting I did back in 1990. It's gouache on art paper especially designed for gouache paint.

1990 seems a long time ago now but I still vividly remember painting this picture. I used to try to go outside every morning or early evening before or after college or work, and have a walk around, looking for scenes to capture in my sketch book. When time permitted, I would take with me a small easel and my paints and complete a painting outdoors.

This one is an urban landscape in autumn, in the early morning. Autumn is such a wonderful month. The summer in my old home town is quite hot, so I always looked forward to autumn with its cool breezes and later pre-winter chills. And the autumnal colours are an artist's dream. The deciduous reds and yellows seem to possess a sumptuous gamut of hues. It's a season of dramatic light with sophisticated shadows and enhanced highlights.

Despite signalling the coming of winter, autumn is a month full of life, and I feel this picture captures that spirit.




No comments:

Post a Comment