Friday 12 October 2012

Beryl Formby


This is a pencil work I've just finished of George Formby's wife, Beryl. It's of a young Beryl when she had those movie star looks. She was certainly a beautiful young woman.

I'm a bit of a fan of Beryl. Most of the stuff written about her is the same old, one-dimensional nonsense. But few of those writers consider the stress of a husband and wife living and working closely together year after year after year. Okay, their relationship may have faded in later years, but I believe there was a mutual devotion between the two of them, and she had a loving and caring side to her nature.

I'm pleased with the detail and technique that I've put into this painting. To be honest though, I didn't really enjoy doing it. I don't generally find women's faces particularly interesting, particularly young women's; they don't seem to have the character and peculiarities of a male face. I think I'll have another attempt at Beryl later, but next time I'll try an older Beryl where you can read her life and humanity through the aging lines on her face.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment