Friday 19 October 2012

Hyacinth - Watercolour


I did this painting of a hyacinth in 2006. It's a watercolour on paper. If I had to choose only one medium it would be watercolour. It's such a delicate yet powerful medium. I love the translucency of the light and the vibrant energy from moving the washes.

Watercolour is a friendly medium in that anyone can quickly learn how to use it but it's also a challenging medium as it is difficult to produce really good results. So I get wonderful satisfaction from completing a good watercolour and feel a closer bond to the painting too.

I was very pleased with the hyacinth. It's such a beautiful flower and I love the way I've worked the blues and greens in the painting. It's a simple picture really, just a flower, but the final result still gives me enjoyment every time I look at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment